Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Homemade gifts: Thinking Outside the Box
















When it comes to homemade gifts, what do you make for the men in your life? It's a tricky question, but with a little creativity you're sure to think of something he'll really treasure. The trick is to think outside the box. What are his hobbies and interests?
First off, I have to admit, I stole this idea from etsy.com. My husband and I were online and we saw the cutest little TMNT figurines... but they were a little out of our price range... I could tell my husband really wanted them. He's been collecting Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for years now and has a room that's just full of all kinds of toys. I thought to myself... why can't I do that? So, I did. They would have been stocking stuffers if my hubby hadn't found them early, lol.
They're made out of polymer clay and the process is pretty self explanatory. Just mold into desired shapes and bake according to package directions. A couple of other tips: Use wire to attatch pieces together (ei. to attatch head to body). This way, you aren't smashing the parts in the process. Also, you may use tin foil to "bulk out" the figurine. I rolled bits of tin foil and wrapped the clay around it for body parts. Not only does it save on the cost of clay, but it also helps the clay cook through and harden.
The figurines cost me about $10 total to make. Online I could have bought similar figurines for about $88.
To make the sets seem more complete, I packaged them in metal tins which slightly resembled miniature time capsules. I literally did a photo shoot of each figurine and designed packaging on photoshop... Complete with names, statistics and all.




No comments:

Post a Comment